Pop royalty beat out two kings of comedy at the weekend box office. Rihanna's animated film, Home, nabbed the top spot with 54 million with Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell's Get Hard debuting in second place with $34.6 million.
20th Century Fox exec Chris Aronson addressed the success of Home saying, "When a movie clicks, there's a confluence of events. There were several linchpins that made Home work. There was a stellar voice cast who believed in the film and worked it professionally." The film also features the vocal talents of Jennifer Lopez, Steve Martin and Jim Parsons.
- Ferrell and Hart nabbed the highest R-rated openings of their careers with Get Hard.
- The success of It Follows in limited release has prompted RADiUS studios and Dimension Films to open the critically acclaimed horror film in more theaters next weekend and postpone its VOD release.
- Divergent sequel, Insurgent, dropped into third place making 58% less at the box office in its second week.
- Focus, Chappie, and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water fell out of the top 10 to make room for the week's new arrivals.
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP TEN MOVIES -- MARCH 27 - MARCH 29
1. Home, $54M
2. Get Hard, $34.6M
3. Insurgent, $22M
4. Cinderella, $17.5M
5. It Follows, $4M
6. Kingsman: The Secret Service, $3.05M
7. Run All Night, $2.2M
8. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, $2.185M
9. Do You Believe?, $2.15M
10. The Gunman, $2M